In the fall of 2009, 233 students enrolled in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade classes.
Students have been accepted at Dallas Independent School District magnet schools of Science & Engineering and Law & Government, Cambridge School, Trinity Christian Academy, Bishop Dunne, Hockaday School, and Episcopal School of Dallas among others.
The curriculum includes classic literature, history, Spanish, fine arts, nature studies and traditional subjects with a strong emphasis on language, phonics, and mathematics.
Nationally, 93% of West Dallas Community School students scored average or above in language arts, and 98% scored average or above in mathematics.
Tuition is based on each family's ability to pay, with some paying as little as $55/month. 92% of the school's annual budget ($2.5 million for 2009-2010) is comprised of donations from individuals, corporations and foundations, with the remaining 8% from tuition.
The school was founded in 1995 by Carole and Norm Sonju (co-founder and retired president/general manager, Dallas Mavericks), Eletha and Arrvel Wilson (president, West Dallas Initiative), and Robin and Michael Lewis.